Before I give you this recipe let me tell you a few things about me:
1. I am in my final trimester of pregnancy (and I'm sad about it- this is fun!)
2. I typically eat a mainly plant-based diet
3. At the moment I am not loving meat AT ALL. In fact, chunks of meat make me gag a little.
4. At this point in time I am STARVING and at the same time not craving anything at all
5. I have gotten quite lazy. Ask my hubby. He can't lie.
All of above should lead you to the conclusion that I'd better buck up and find a suitable protein source. I've been trying it all: beans, hummus, eggs (tolerable right now), some dairy.
This is a simple snack that I threw together that gives me a little boost of protein (yay- even though it is dairy) and doesn't gross me out (double yay). And it's perfect for summer when you don't want to cook!
Ricotta Cantaloupe Toast
2 slices whole grain crusty bread
1/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup thin cantaloupe slices or chunks
Toast bread (in a toaster is perfect) and spread 2 Tbsp ricotta on each slice. Layer each with cantaloupe.
This would also be lovely sprinkled with fresh chopped mint or drizzled with honey!
Nutrition Info per 1 slice: 120 calories, 3 g fat, 7 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber